If you are anything like me, you’re already over the freezing temperatures and the snow that comes with it.
Before we know it, we’ll be in the summer months complaining about the incessant heat – but better the heat than the cold, right?
Between the two weather extremes however, we’ll find ourselves in the blissful comfort of spring. The sweet smell of the earth will hang in the air as the earth thaws, baby animals will be scurrying about, and we can finally shed our heavy jackets.
You can even make romantic cocktails regardless of the weather if you need to liven up your love life.
Not to mention the vibrancy this seasons seems to unfold, after months of white grounds and long nights.
Here are five colourful spring-themed cocktails to leave you anticipating the new beginnings ahead of us all.
The Green Fizz
The first colour that comes to mind when anyone thinks of the spring? Green, of course.
The Green Fizz cocktail will not only leave you dreaming of seeing fresh grass spout on our lawns, but also of our lush gardens, thanks to the fruity flavours in this drink.
- ½ a kiwi, cut into thin slices
- ¼ a cored green apple, cut into thin slices
- 1 oz melon liqueur
- 1 oz vodka
- 3 oz seltzer water
- In a 12-oz glass, fill ? with ice cubes
- Mix in the kiwi and apple slices into the ice
- Pour the alcohol into the glass, then top with seltzer
- Gently stir the contents
- Serve with a straw
Not only is it amalgamating the most wonderful of flavours, but also a beautiful cocktail in presentation.
- ¾ oz gin
- ¾ oz Crème de Violette
- ¾ oz lemon juice
- ¾ oz Triple Sec
- Mix all ingredients well in a cocktail shaker, filled with ice
- Strain into a martini glass
- If desired, garnish with a twist of orange peel
Who doesn’t want to think about the flowers that will soon be unfurling?
I can picture myself in a proper English garden right now, strolling through it with a rose margarita in hand.
- 1½ oz agave blanco tequila
- 1 oz lime juice
- 3 organic red rose petals (rinsed gently)
- ¾ oz rose syrup
- ¾ oz orange liqueur
- Run a wedge of lemon along the rim of a rocks glass and rub in hibiscus and rose salt for garnish
- Mix all ingredients well in a cocktail shaker filled with ice
- Strain the drink into the glass
The Butterfly Cocktail
Just like the flowers that are coming into bloom, so too are the butterflies reentering our immediate environments as they flock to the opening petals.
- Lemon zest
- 1½ oz Le Citron
- 1½ oz white grape juice
- 3 basil leaves
- 3 mint leaves
- 1 tsp elderflower cordial
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Fill a cocktail shaker with the basil and mint leaves (shredded), then pour in all other ingredients and fill remaining space with ice
- Shake well and strain into a cocktail glass
- If desired, garnish with an edible flower
100 Proof Lemonade
Picture it: you’re sitting on your front porch on a spring afternoon, bare feet planted firmly on the warmed planks of wood.
The only thing that can make this moment better is a cool and refreshing lemonade in your hand.
- 1½ oz 100 proof Southern Comfort
- Lemonade (to top off)
- Fill a highball glass with ice
- Pour in Southern Comfort and top off with lemonade
- If desired, garnish with a lemon twist
The warm weather will soon be upon us and we can break free from those winter blues! In the meantime, you’re sure to enjoy these five amazing drinks in preparation for the coming season.
Drink up, and enjoy responsibly!